January started off strong with reading, but kind of slowed down as I started going through some personal/spiritual things mid-month (which feels like a lot longer, honestly).
I can’t really explain it, but my fellow Christians will know that sometimes we go through rough patches in our walk with God. Mine happened right after I started reading my Bible more than I had been in the past few months, and it’s like I was attacked right away after listening to God about pulling back from something that was taking up all my time (obviously not in a good way). So long story short, I’m still working through some of my anxiety and whatnot, but I guess we’re all works in progress, right?
Anyway, reading… I finished nine books this month and I’m still (slowly) working on one. I am considering DNF’ing it, not because I don’t like it – I’ve actually read it before – it’s just not quite sitting with me at this time, I guess. I also acquired ten books this month; eight were purchases with gift cards from Christmas, and the other two were given to me as gifts.
- The Queen of Nothing – 4.5 stars
- Ali Cross – James Patterson – 4 stars
- Black Butler, vol. 1 – 4 stars
- Black Butler, vol. 2 – 3 stars
- Black Butler, vol. 3 – 3 stars
- Again, but Better – 3.5 stars
- Black Butler, vol. 4 – 4 stars
- Black Butler, vol. 5 – 4 stars
- The Printed Letter Bookshop – 5 stars
- A Classic Christmas – various authors
- Misfits – Jen Calonita
- The Camera Never Lies – David Rawlings
- Sailor Moon, volumes 6 – 10 – Naoko Takeuchi
- Armegeddon – Tim LaHaye & Jerry B. Jenkins
- A Study in Charlotte – Brittany Cavallaro
Overall, not too bad. I kinda wish I’d read more novels than manga, but I don’t regret trying out Black Butler to get a feel for it. I’m not sure if I’ll continue reading the series; I probably won’t. I mainly read it because it’s one of my friend’s favorites because she loves the mystery aspect to it all. I just don’t think I can hold out for the 20+ more volumes of it.
2 thoughts on “January Haul and Wrap Up”
Congratulations on your reading this month! I used to be a huge fan of manga but like you said I would always get halfway through and lose motivation!
LikeLiked by 1 person
I think it just gets hard because some of them have so many volumes! At least for me since I do prefer to read contemporary novels XD