I meant to do this post weeks ago and time just got away from me. Plus, having to look at my books and see where they all take place was a bit of a chore. I purposely left out the state of Connecticut because although I’ve read books that take place there, I also live in Connecticut, so I’ve seen enough. Don’t get me wrong, I love reading books that are in my home state, but I wouldn’t count it as “traveling” to the state when I live there.
I feel like there are some I’m missing going into this, and I know I haven’t read around all 50 states yet, so I’ll be on the lookout for books in some of the missing states.
Oddly, California is a state I don’t care much about visiting. Since I do want to visit all 50 states at some point, I’ll visit, but it’s probably close to the bottom of my list. Nothing against California, I’m just not much about it.
- Lola and the Boy Next Door – Stephanie Perkins
- One of Us is Lying – Karen M. McManus
- One of Us is Next – Karen M. McManus
- By the Book – Julia Sonnenborn
- Avalanche – Melinda Braun
- All the Bright Places – Jennifer Niven
- In the Hall with the Knife – Diana Peterfruend
- In the Study With the Wrench – Diana Peterfruend
- Hearts, Strings, and Other Breakable Things – Jaqueline Firkins
- Chemistry Lessons – Meredith Goldstein
- Hacking Harvard – Robin Wasserman
- What to Say Next – Julie Buxbaum
With so many books set here, I feel like I’ve been to NYC without having actually been there. Which is kind of good because I hate crowds. I would like to go there someday, mainly to go to The Strand, but I like being able to “experience” the city without the smells and mass of people.
- All We Have Left – Wendy Mills
- Dash and Lily’s Book of Dares – Rachel Cohn and David Levithan
- Someday, Somewhere – Lindsay Champion
- Blackout – Dhionelle Clayton & more
- Kiss Me in New York – Catherine Rider
- This Train is Being Held – Ismee Amiel Williams
So pretty much all the books I’ve read that take place in this state are by Sarah Dessen. Only one of them that I’ve read that takes place in NC (that I know of) is on this list.
- The Moon and More – Sarah Dessen
- The Truth About Forever – Sarah Dessen
- Once and For All – Sarah Dessen
- Saint Anything – Sarah Dessen
- Since We Last Spoke – Brenda Rufener
- Waiting for Tom Hanks – Kerry Winfrey
- Not Like the Movies – Kerry Winfrey
- Goodbye Days – Jeff Zentner
- The Field Guide to the North American Teenager – Ben Phillipe
- Emergency Contact – Mary H.K. Choi
- Two Can Keep a Secret – Karen M. McManus
- The Mistletoe Inn – Richard Paul Evans
- Truly Devious – Maureen Johnson
- The Gallagher Girls series – Ally Carter
I could definitely keep going with this list since I know there’s probably been other states I’ve visited through books. Though it seems most of them are in New York, including a bunch that I didn’t list. Book traveling is weird and hard to keep track of. Anyway, next up will be places that take place in made-up worlds or just not on Earth.
In any case, what are some books that take place in states you don’t see on this list?